Tuesday, November 30, 2010

There’s many things I’ve been through to get to were I am today as a person. Life is full of hardships, and it's those hardships, that make us stronger. We first suffer though pain before we can understand happiness. That is what I learned from my 11th grade when my English teacher had his class read Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom. This book was about a man who was facing death. This man was very intelligent, and had been through a lot in his life. I learned a lot just by reading it. Reading this book wasn’t the only thing that I had to do with this book, I also assigned to a project. The project was to choose a family member who you believe has gained much wisdom to share with you that they had gained thought-out their life. Once we chose the individual, we were to speak to them about the same subject that the author Mitch Albom spoke to his old professor Morrie about as we got to each subject. I was to listen to them and take note or recordings of what they had to say. This assignment was not collected or checked. It was more of something that I could have for myself, so that those moments and their knowledge would always be with me.

     The person I chose for this assignment was my great grandmother Wyvernia Tucker. I chose her because I believed as an 86-year-old woman, she should have plenty of experiences, and knowledgeable life experiences to share with me. I have always been close to my grandmother, and she has always motivates me to do the things I want most in life, accomplish my goals in life, and to do things that would make my life full of happiness. It was good that I chose her; I learned so much during are talks. We went thought topics such as life, death, careers, relationships, the world, and so much more.

     The ones I got the most out of were life and death, from both my grandmother and Morrie’s perspective. I enjoyed how when Morrie said, "Once you learn how to die, you learn how to live." I also enjoyed when he says, "So many people walk around with a meaningless life. They seem half-asleep, even when they're busy doing things they think are important. This is because they're chasing the wrong things. The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning.” "My grandmother said, “When you stop fearing death, you start to enjoy life to the fullest, you allow yourself to truly live.” These things made me stop fearing death, and just worries about what I can do now to live life with as little regrets as possible, and for the regrets I have, don’t focus so much on that it ends up blinding me from the life I have, then not realize it until my life is over.

   Our discussions helped me make many life decisions, for example, what I wanted to go to colleges for. At first, for the longest time I wanted to be a lawyer. I wanted to one because they made a lot off money, I know a lot about the law, and the right people have, I thought I’d be good at it and make a lot of money. I mostly wanted it for the money. After doing this project and reading, this book I realized that I shouldn’t put aside the things I really love for something the world tells us is the best. Therefore, instead of being a lawyer, I Teaireyana Wyvernia Williams is going follow my true dream and use my creative spirit to become and animator and graphic designer, and not waist my life on something that not going to make me truly happy and live my life to the fullest.       



No comments:

Post a Comment